Spice & Co. Smoked Paprika is sourced from Spain and is a naturally smoked product with a woody sweet taste. Smoked Paprika is made by drying ripened peppers (capsicum) in smoke houses fuelled with slow burning oak wood. The smoke enhances the flavour by caramelising the naturally present sugars. The peppers are milled to a fine powder and used to add colour/flavour to dishes. Chefs tip - as with saffron, a little goes a long way and can easily dominate a dish so less is more!
Uses and Ideas! ©
- Add smoked paprika to Spanish paellas, Mediterranean style seafood/tomato soups and braised meat dishes.
- Add smoked paprika to marinades or combine with sweet paprika and dust over baked/sautéed potatoes.
- Smoked paprika gives a great flavour to red meat spice rubs or marinades. It is widely used in the making of chorizo sausage, in pork dishes and tapas dishes.
- Smoked paprika adds an earthy dimension to paellas, braised lentils, Italian pepperonata and pasta sauces.
- Smoked paprika goes well with poultry, beef/pork ribs, caramelised onions and roast root vegetables.