DISCOVER EXQUISITE BLOOD ORANGES
Embrace the Blood Orange Season
In Australia, blood oranges are available from July to October, offering a short season to make the most of these flavourful fruits.
Sweet, Subtle, and Slightly Tangy
Compared to their traditional oranges, blood oranges boast a delightful flavour profile. With lower acidity, a gentle sweetness, and delicate notes reminiscent of raspberry or strawberry, they deliver a taste experience like no other. The interplay of sweet and sour notes makes these oranges a culinary delight, perfect for both sweet and savory creations.
Nutrients and Antioxidants
Beyond their captivating taste, blood oranges pack a nutritional punch. Bursting with vitamin C, these unique citrus fruits help support the immune system and promote healthy skin. But what truly sets them apart is their unique dark red flesh, a result of the presence of anthocyanins - rare polyphenol pigments found more commonly in fruits like raspberries and blueberries.
A Bounty of Health Benefits
These anthocyanins bring a wealth of antioxidants to your diet, which can play a crucial role in safeguarding our health. The presence of antioxidants in blood oranges can help reduce the risk of chronic health issues such as heart disease, cancer, and diabetes, making them not only a delicious treat but also a powerful addition to a wholesome diet.
The Art of Enjoying Blood Oranges: A Sensory Experience
When it comes to enjoying blood oranges, remember that their fruit colour can vary based on the variety, growing conditions, and weather. Vibrant skin colour often indicates a highly coloured flesh, brimming with all the goodness.
Delicious Ways to Savor Blood Oranges: An Exquisite Culinary Adventure
Blood oranges, with their captivating flavour and vibrant crimson flesh, lend themselves to a myriad of delightful culinary creations. From refreshing beverages to delectable desserts, here are some delicious ways to make the most of these crimson jewels:
- Fresh and Simple: Enjoy the natural sweetness of blood oranges by simply peeling and enjoying them fresh. Their juicy and tangy taste is a delightful treat on its own.
- Blood Orange Salad: Create a colourful and refreshing salad by combining blood orange segments with mixed greens, thinly sliced red onions, feta cheese, and a light citrus dressing.
- Blood Orange Vinaigrette: Blend freshly squeezed blood orange juice with olive oil, honey, Dijon mustard, and a dash of balsamic vinegar to make a flavourful vinaigrette for salads or grilled vegetables.
- Blood Orange Salsa: Dice blood oranges and mix them with diced red bell peppers, coriander, jalapeños, red onions, lime juice, and a pinch of salt. This zesty salsa pairs perfectly with grilled fish or chicken.
- Blood Orange Margarita: Mix blood orange juice with tequila, triple sec, and fresh lime juice to create a refreshing and colourful twist on the classic margarita.
- Blood Orange Sorbet: Blend blood orange juice with sugar and freeze the mixture to make a delightful and refreshing sorbet, perfect for hot summer days.
- Blood Orange Glazed Salmon: Combine blood orange juice, soy sauce, honey, garlic, and ginger to make a flavourful glaze for baked or grilled salmon.
- Blood Orange Tart: Create a luscious blood orange tart with a buttery pastry crust, filled with a velvety blood orange curd, and topped with sliced blood oranges for a visually stunning dessert.
- Blood Orange Chia Pudding: Mix chia seeds with blood orange juice and a touch of honey, then refrigerate overnight for a nutritious and delicious breakfast or dessert.
- Blood Orange Iced Tea: Brew your favourite black or green tea and add freshly squeezed blood orange juice for a refreshing and citrusy iced tea.
- Blood Orange Marmalade: Make a tangy and vibrant marmalade by cooking blood orange slices with sugar and water until thick and spreadable.
- Blood Orange Cupcakes: Infuse your favourite cupcake recipe with blood orange zest and juice for a citrusy twist on a classic dessert or try our Moist Almond,Semolina and Blood Orange Syrup Cake